Anyone used lightning in a physical retail location?

Hello all, I am trying to see if there are any physical locations accepting lightning payments and have any of you used such services?

1 Like

I haven’t used at a physical location yet but made my first lightning payment for this coffee mug a couple of days ago. Can’t wait for delivery. Hoping to see physical locations pop up nearby soon.

“Bitcoin is F U Money”. The bottom of the mug in the best!

Yes. this is great. I’ve seen it. I am still very excited to pull out my blue wallet and pay for it in a physical retail location…! Not sure when that will happen.

1 Like

Do you guys know about a tutorial how to approach physical shops to convince them to accept BTC with Lightning? I’m thinking about trying a few locations here, but it would be great to learn from others how to do that efficiently.

Hello Andras, where are you located? We at paysea.net created a dedicated lightning terminal which can be used by retail locations to accept lightning payments similar to CC terminals. We are currently in the process of deploying it to few shops mainly the ones where they are paying high cost with traditional credit card companies. Let me know if you want to collaborate more on this.

1 Like

Excellent idea and execution! I’m in Europe.

May I have a few questions:
1, Is it typical to have 6-7 seconds before the confirmation arrives on Lightning?
2, Is there a map of the merchants that accept bitcoin/lightning? OpenStreetMap would be a good candidate if it had a mature format to store cryptocurrency acceptance information, but I’m not sure it has at the moment (link).
3, Does your solution work both on tablets and phones? Can I download it from the app store to test it?
4, When you advertise “no fees” to the merchant, that’s true because the buyer pays the tx fee, right?
5, Are these transactions/invoices valid for bookkeeping? I suppose it’s country specific, but is there a way to export all successful Lightning transactions for bookkeeping?
6, If you don’t mind me asking, what is the business model you use, how do you generate income?

I really appreciate your hard work and investment, I think we need many brave people like you who help reaching the shops where people can spend their satoshis! :pray:

Thanks for your feedback, appreciation and great questions Andras. Find my answers below.

1. Is it typical to have 6-7 seconds before the confirmation arrives on Lightning? This depends on various factors such as connectivity, Lightning node response and lightning node path. For now I am seeing an average of 5 seconds for each transaction. But this can be improved in future if we have direct channel with the payment App such as Strike.

2, Is there a map of the merchants that accept bitcoin/lightning? OpenStreetMap would be a good candidate if it had a mature format to store cryptocurrency acceptance information, but I’m not sure it has at the moment (link). Not that I know of.

3, Does your solution work both on tablets and phones? Can I download it from the app store to test it? - While we have Apps in our roadmap, currently we are only focused on providing our software on our hardware. If you are ready to knock on some retailers, I can send a demo unit to you.

4, When you advertise “no fees” to the merchant, that’s true because the buyer pays the tx fee, right? - Correct.
5, Are these transactions/invoices valid for bookkeeping? I suppose it’s country specific, but is there away to export all successful Lightning transactions for bookkeeping? - Yes

6, If you don’t mind me asking, what is the business model you use, how do you generate income? - Currently the model is to generate income through renting the device. Each device will cost $50 per month This includes cellular and all other costs. However, we are also open to experimenting other business models.

Please reach out to demo@visybl.com if you want a demo device and ready to knock some doors.

Thanks again for your feedback.

1 Like