Bitcoin Node stuck "Starting"

This thread saved my node. Thank you all.

So what you left inside the the setting.json ?

{}

I was seeing the following error in the logs which was causing the Bitcoin node not to start:
Unable to parse settings file /data/.bitcoin/settings.json

Deleting settings.json using the following command after SSHing in the system and restarting the Bitcoin node fixed the problem:
rm ~/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin/data/bitcoin/settings.json

1 Like

Same problem : my bitcoin node is stuck starting.

This is after I pruned my node first and then changed back to reload the complete blockchain.

pruning did not cause a problem but after resetting to loading the complete blockchain the bitcoin node is stuck in the starting state… it seems not to be downloading missing blocks.

From the debug i’m getting:

bitcoin

Attaching to bitcoin_server_1, bitcoin_i2pd_daemon_1, bitcoin_bitcoind_1, bitcoin_tor_server_1, bitcoin_tor_1, bitcoin_app_proxy_1
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:32:45@972/error - Tunnels: Can't select next hop for VFzo6gbm6H57JcHYTxTeGQYD2LdV0YgJ0DMc-r60CP8=
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:32:45@972/error - Tunnels: Can't create inbound tunnel, no peers available
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:32:45@972/error - Tunnels: Can't select next hop for VFzo6gbm6H57JcHYTxTeGQYD2LdV0YgJ0DMc-r60CP8=
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:32:45@972/error - Tunnels: Can't create inbound tunnel, no peers available
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:00@972/error - Tunnels: Can't select next hop for Rmt~sFCyQd88GKGrIrb6ozVhIIU1wVJCujQ4k-KNdNI=
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:00@972/error - Tunnels: Can't create inbound tunnel, no peers available
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:20@972/error - Tunnels: Can't select next hop for TQkP21LdjT9lQCy6o~ekk7k4Z46GhB5QCjk8Its5QF0=
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:20@972/error - Tunnels: Can't create inbound tunnel, no peers available
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:30@972/error - Tunnels: Can't select next hop for 1H89wzsHqYdztbXAddAaEplOBFz95UcNuMzEzlpkF5k=
i2pd_daemon_1  | 10:33:30@972/error - Tunnels: Can't create inbound tunnel, no peers available

I’ve tried removing the peers.dat file and reboot: no success
I’ve tried to empty out settings.jason and reboot: no success

I cannot find any other suggestions online :s

Hope someone can help me out here, thx!

1 Like

GM.

trying syncing since yesterday, but bitcoin node stuck on starting.
apparently nothing appears on debug console.

im using a VM on iMac (ubuntu 22.10)

help please.

GM. My Bitcoin node is also stuck on starting.
Also I can’t ssh into my umbrel (this is probably because I am a potato) - when I ssh umbrel.local in my cmd (windows) I get prompted for password - I give my umbrel password and get denied.

Hi @sheepXcat
In regards to SSHing in, you’ll need to use ssh umbrel@umbrel.local so a user is specified.

After that, if you could please navigate to the settings dashboard on umbrel.local, select START under troubleshooting and share the resultant logs here.

I used ssh umbrel@umbrel.local and got inside, then removed json and peer.dat files, which resolved the issue.
Many thanks!

1 Like

I had this issue before, i had a bad SSD after i replaced it it worked fine