Can't download anything

I can’t download anything, why ?!

Just looking to this nice picture, NOBODY can tell you why. Only maybe if somebody will have a crystal ball to see through your node belly…

1 Like

I can’t understand why you even take time to give this answers… Get a life.

To users that don’t even bother to look first into the Guides section of this forum, what do you want to answer?
I wrote a big troubleshooting manual with all kind of situations and fixes, including how to run the debug logs… if users don’t do a minimal effort to help in diagnose… only a crystal ball can help.

If you are such good in diagnose from a simple image, please, be my guess, run your crystal ball. and answer. How many answers and solutions you gave to other users here? None?

1 Like

Thanks.
But it was better to introduce a link from the previous content

1 Like

Hey @callhami! Sorry about that. Would you be able to share the debug logs (Settings > Troubleshoot)?

2 Likes

Thanks @louneskmt
umbrel-1648134148481-debug.log (27.8 KB)

I think because tor is not available in my country (Iran) I can not connect to the network

Yeah, that might be the case. You can try to configure a Tor bridge.

Can the bridge be changed from an umbrel? If yes, thank you for explaining because I do not know.
It would be great if umbrel could set the VPN from the settings

To enable Tor bridges:

1. Connect to your Pi via SSH and go to the umbrel directory with cd ~/umbrel
  2. Get a Tor bridge from https://bridges.torproject.org/bridges?transport=obfs4
  3. Edit your Tor config templates files (templates/torrc-proxy-sample and templates/torrc-server-sample) to enable these tor bridges:
UseBridges 1
ClientTransportPlugin obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy managed

# Copy paste here what you get from the tor bridge website on the previous step, and add "Bridge " at the beginning of each line. For example:

Bridge obfs4 X.X.X.1X:XXXX AZERTYUIOP cert=azertyuiop iat-mode=0
Bridge obfs4 X.X.X.2X:XXXX AZERTYUIOP cert=azertyuiop iat-mode=0
Bridge obfs4 X.X.X.3X:XXXX AZERTYUIOP cert=azertyuiop iat-mode=0
  1. Reconfigure Umbrel
sudo ~/umbrel/scripts/configure
  1. Install the necessary packages:
docker-compose exec tor_server /bin/sh -c "apt-get update -y && apt-get install obfs4proxy"
docker-compose exec tor_proxy /bin/sh -c "apt-get update -y && apt-get install obfs4proxy"
  1. Restart Tor
docker-compose restart tor_server tor_proxy

I never tried this myself, so not sure it will work right away. Please let me know. I’m going to see if we can include the obfs4proxy package directly in the tor image, so one won’t need to install it on each reboot.

Unfortunately, the problem was not resolved!

Did I do the steps correctly?

Can you please add OBFS4/bridges support to Umbrel. It is not reliable to work in many countries (Colombia, Turkey, Egypt, UAE, etc) because Tor is blocked. But the tor in built censorship circumvention tools work very well.

I think Umbrel should automatically sense that if it is unable to create a Tor circuit the regular way it should attempt to automatically use a obfs4/bridge to create a circuit without requiring user intervention so the product is more broadly usable in other countries.

I prefer Tor over Tailscale for privacy reasons.

1 Like