Cant ssh into disconnected umbrel getting this mesg

what does this mean?

I’m happy to help with this to get you back up and running! And sorry but it looks like you lost connection with your Umbrel or it’s gone offline.

For reference, many of these steps go into more detail in our FAQ guide for reference here: Official Umbrel Troubleshooting Guide and FAQ

I will also summarize some steps to go through further to get you connected,

As a first troubleshooting step, to confirm are you able to access your Umbrel via SSH at all?

Can I confirm you are on a computer on the same local network and opened a terminal window on Mac or command prompt or powershell on Windows then typed:
ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local

Then if it lets you access you can always reboot with the command sudo reboot if your dashboard is currently not reachable.

Can I confirm it is not letting you login and these commands are not working, are you receiving any other specific error messages?

If it’s not accessible we’ll need to see if it’s detected on your network at all, you can check your router’s device list or use an app like Angry IP scanner to easily scan your network to see if your node’s IP shows up: https://angryip.org/

Your Umbrel’s IP should display next to the host name umbrel.local and you can see if you can reach Umbrel using the IP in your address bar instead or by SSHing like this: ssh umbrel@YourNode'sIP

Are you on Rasperry Pi 4? Here are steps to try if so…

If it’s still not reachable we need to confirm if there is a green flashing light next to your red power on light on the board? There must be a green flashing light to indicate the MicroSD card is being read, if not we’ll need to reflash Umbrel OS on the MicroSD card, and then we can plug it back in and try once more.

Once you can access your dashboard you can share a debug log with me for review as well via System > Troubleshoot > Start

If this is not working via the dashboard you can also SSH and and output a debug log with this command: sudo ~/umbrel/scripts/debug to review for any other errors.

You can copy and paste the debug log to https://pastebin.com/ for easy review

Let me know what you’ve tried so far and happy to further assist.

Thanks man. Yeah it was my fault. All good now.

1 Like

Hi @usernameisJim

I got my pi4 new a month ago, finalized IBD two weeks and it was all running smoothly.

I have gone through all the above steps.
I’m connected to my laptop via LAN. LAN works fine.
Can’t find my pi4 via ssh/angryip.

I also downloaded the OS again in case it was corrupted.
I reflashed the OS on two other SD cards, one I even bought new. I also replace the card reader as it appeared dodgy.

Regarding the green flashing light: upon start-up, the LED lights and flashes heavily up to about 60 seconds, is on and off up to about 90 seconds, and then decreases to briefly flashing every 4-5 seconds.

I am using ssh umbrel@umbrel with power shell, the way I accessed my pi before. Message:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname umbrel: No such host is known.

Background info: it appears the problem started to occur once we changed from a cable router to a fiber router. However, I try to access my pi from my laptop through LAN and it doesn’t work.

Any help appreciated

In rare circumstances a router can block what looks like linux machines or block some devices, at the very least if the green light is flashing the Pi 4 should be working correctly - then we can navigate to your router’s administration page and check the connected device list. Sometimes the router will display the devices connected via ethernet separately to help deduce which is the Pi 4, you can even unplug - see if it disappears, and replug it to determine which is the Pi. Do you have any other devices you can run an ethernet cable into your router to also isolate the issue from your Wi-Fi network?

I can only suggest reflashing, power cycling the device, and trouleshooting the Pi until it’s detected… let me know what else you’ve tried and happy to further assist