Connecting remotely with Tor - cannot get through

Hi guys. I just got Tor on my iPhone and started connecting remotely to my Umbrel node. First day it worked just fine but next day I cannot get connected. Browser just gets frozen and cannot establish the connection. Do you have an idea, why ?

1 Like

I am having trouble with Zap wallet connecting to the Tor/Umbrel myself.
I even tried to activate a mobile VPN on the iPhone to change the network environment because I was at home when attempting to connect (same network as the Umbrel Raspberry Pi).
Didn’t get through. And using a tor browser would be so hasslesome to do simple Lightning Txs.

What’s the best practice for using Lightning on iOs connecting to my personal Umbrel/Tor?

[EDIT 16SEP 04:07 GMT]
I tried again now to link the ZAP/iOS via the QR code with the Umbrel wallet. It took 20sec but then it connected correctly to the node and shows me my channels and balances. I guess sometimes the connection via Tor just isn’t reliable and yesterday it simply “didn’t want to connect at all”.

1 Like
  1. Throw away that iShit. Seriously we are in 2021 and people still walking around with iSpy on their pockets is pathetic. In special for bitcoiners.
  2. buy a decent android phone and install CalyxOS or GrapheneOS or LineageOS.
  3. Be happy to use whatever app you want in a safe way.
2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @DarthCoin. Your ultra-blunt tone is amusing :blush:

I will experiment more to find a more reliable solution for connecting to my Umbrel remotely.
-> I think the culprit is probably the Tor connection which negatively impacts the connection success rate.

If anyone uses an iOS Lightning app which works well with Umbrel/Tor, please do share your recommendation here.

1 Like

Apple do not want Tor on their devices. Is by design, they hate privacy. You never ask yourself why?
Not Tor connection is the problem here. Is your iShit device.
I am really serious here. No joke.

2 Likes

I got it right finally. Need to install and use TOR BROWSER (not Tor VPN) i.e. application without VPN. I can operate my Umbrel note through it remotely without problems.