Force close LND channel but money did not go into wallet

So my node crashed.

I recovered it with 24 word seed. Money that was in wallet returned. I had 1 LND channel open and They force closed. The money did not go back to my wallet. PLEASE HELP

Channel Id: 771453642050043904
Public Key: 0235ea8691bf72ae389f921fa0b1baf161764ae6ded484d8c35da8ccab66b56f31
Forced closed transaction: 807c5e0c99e6ad06cedc054733f20483530480ecb703a707ecec994203931cf8

There’s nothing to help here. You just have to read and learn more about how LN works.
Funds will be returned to your onchain wallet when the release grace time is over.
You can check it by command line, see the troubleshooting manual it is explained there.

2 Likes

I always go to your bible first. But I read that as the person that initiates the force close must wait.

I did not initiate the force close. The other party did.

Doesn’t matter which side is the initiator. Funds have to go to each side in their onchain wallet.
Did you checked with lncli the status of the tx and see on which block height will be released?

1 Like

Ya

Any other tips? With your knowledge can you see anything with the info I provide above?

but the the tx is already confirmed

It should have the funds back into your onchain wallet.
Import the seed into BW and check it.
Maybe your node it didn’t rescan the UTXOs.

It should have went to wallet
0235ea8691bf72ae389f921fa0b1baf161764ae6ded484d8c35da8ccab66b56f31

Is there a way to see what wallet transaction
807c5e0c99e6ad06cedc054733f20483530480ecb703a707ecec994203931cf8
Went in to?

The wallet is already linked with Bluewallet… should I delete it with bluewallet and then restore again off seed?

try in Zap Desktop the seed.
See more details in this guide:

I did the zap desktop recovery and only the money I had in there was recovered not the money from this forced close channel.

is there any way to tell what wallet the money went to from this?

My on chain wallet for that LND channel is
0235ea8691bf72ae389f921fa0b1baf161764ae6ded484d8c35da8ccab66b56f31

force close channels sometimes takes long time. Be patient.

this happened to me exactly. the channels have been closed for months and I still don’t have any of the fund back into that wallet. I know my back is correct because when this happened to me a few months ago I was able to recover the funds that were sitting in my wallet before the crash.

Never got my lighting money back. If I get it figured out I’ll tag you in a post here. Please do the same for me.

will do.

hey, looks like I’m the same boat as you were. with about 62 channels though. lots of sats. did you ever get it back?

hey @DrWalrus @aman23,

I was in the same situation as you, I had just aezeed lnd seed with all the balance in 1 channel. After my request, remote node force-closed that channel, but the funds weren’t returned or foundable in any wallet I have tested (blixt, sparrow, bluewallet…), even though tx had 2000 confirmations. After some research, I discovered that funds must be swept from the address.

I was able to do this with the help of chantools: __github.com/lightninglabs/chantools (remove prefix “_”…just some “number of URLs in post” kinda limitation from umbrel)
This should work only if your channel was created by lnd v0.8.0-beta or higher approx. after 2019-10, due to SAFU commitments. If you had a really old channel, other commands like this one could help: _github.com/lightninglabs/chantools/blob/master/doc/chantools_rescueclosed.md, but here it will not be that easy and you will probably need commit_point from last channel state.

Brief steps how I was able to save my funds:

1. download chantools for your OS and unzip: Releases · lightninglabs/chantools · GitHub
  2. go to the folder, where is file chantools.exe and copy path to this folder
  3. open command prompt (cmd in Win) or generally terminal in your OS and navigate to the path you copied with command:
cd <your_path>
  1. run command from this docu !read-first!: github.com/lightninglabs/chantools/blob/master/doc/chantools_sweepremoteclosed.md like
chantools sweepremoteclosed --recoverywindow 300 --feerate 20 --sweepaddr bc1q..... --publish

I would run this command without --publish first just to ensure, there is some unspent UTXO
5. past your seed (+passphrase or just press enter if you have not used it)
6. chantools will scan addresses. If there is some unspent utxo, you will be able to send it to some other address with the use of parameter --publish

That’s it, hope it helps to save some sats.

@goodfellasjoe

Hi, chantools was scanning the address where the resources are. But I can’t send them to the new address in the terminal.

How exactly is the command written? eg chantools --sweepaddr bc1-new address --publish

I can’t send the resources, it always says that it found them and then the terminal doesn’t respond.

Done, great, after a few minutes the funds appeared at the new address. Thanks!!!

1 Like