OK, big news today and many users freaked out about how to use this new feature app in Umbrel: BlueWallet LNDHub.
This is a major step forward for all node operators. Why? Because is one more step for a node in becoming a “Bitcoin Sovereign Bank”, being a HUB for your family, friends and all those who do not/can’t have a node for themselves. Practically you can “rent” them space and liquidity from your node.
There’s a very important aspect in Bitcoin world and few understand it:
- custodial wallets (your funds are in custody and control by other parties)
- private wallets (your funds are in your own custody and you are the only one control them)
But be aware, own custody means also that you will have:
- more responsibility for your own funds, to keep safe and private your funds and wallets
- more knowledge, learning into how to use these new tools
- more costs (sometimes, if you do not know how to do it properly), mistakes costs, so you better learn first to do it properly
- more responsibility for those who will be using your node/walelts/funds
- offer liquidity, this can end in more costs too
So if until now, if you were using BlueWallet (BW), you were using a custodial LN wallet (not onchain). That means that BW servers were in charge of managing your LN wallet, creating it and offering liquidity to be able to use sats on LN without bothering to run a node, maintaining it, open channels, keep the liquidity up etc Easy peasy.
Now you can do the same but with your own node:
- connect your mobile BW app to your node
- create a LN wallet in your BW app
- that LN wallet will have 0 (zero) balance, but will be able to use the liquidity of your channels, NOT the balance (!)
- create as many wallets you want for your family and friends, they will manage their own wallets and balances, but keep in mind: you are responsible for their wallets to be online and be able to transact.
NOTE - For the moment mobile app BW WILL NOT manage your node/channels as Zeus or Zap do. Right now it is activated only the part of LNDHub of your node. So if you activate and install this app now just to see your channels, don’t expect to see them.
FROM NOW ON YOU CAN BE THE BANK FOR YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!
Bluewallet LNDHub is a wallet manager and NOT a node manager. It’s a big difference.
With your node and apps like Zeus, Zap, RTL, Thunderhub, you are managing “the bank”, your node, your channels, you are the banker, moving funds, offering liquidity for your own internal users.
With BW LNDHub, you are managing the “customers” of your bank, their access to the liquidity of your bank, and managing their own “safety boxes” in your node.
So, let’s see what you can do now, as a new user of Umbrel node.
- Update Bluewallet mobile app:
- On Android 9+ update to verion 6.1.0. You can use your Play Store (if you still have it) or BW Github source directly
- On Android, it is well known now that for android versions lower than 9, the new BW app, will crash/not start, due to some restrictions about including Tor, integrated into app.
So if you have a mobile phone with Android 8 or lower, stay with v.6.0.8 until new updates.
Or if you can upgrade your OS version that will be good.
If you can’t then is time for you to buy a new serious phone. I recommend a Pixel and then install a fresh OS like GrapheneOS or CalyxOS on it.
- On iOS, just go to App Store and do the update.
Update your Umbrel node to v 0.3.10 (you already know how)
Install BlueWallet app on Umbrel. Go to App Store and install it.
Connect your BW mobile app with your node
- Open the section “Connect wallet” and open Bluewallet instructions
- Open your BW mobile app and follow those instructions, step by step
- Go to main dashboard of BW mobile app and click on create new wallet. Select Lightning. It will create a new empty LN wallet, on your LNDHub on your node machine. Don’t expect to see any balance, it’s an empty wallet, ready to be used, to receive and send only the balance you receive in that wallet (NOT from your LN node balance).
More to come, this is just the first step in helping node operators to BE THEIR OWN BANK!