Hardrive issues

Hey all, I am seeing this error:

Error: No external drive found

Please connect an external drive (at least 1TB) to a USB 3.0 port (blue color) on your Raspberry Pi and restart your Umbrel.

My Umbrel has been running for a while with no issues so not sure what might be happening. I have swapped out the cable connecting the hardrive to the pi, but same issue persists.

Anyone experience this before?

I can advise to make sure your new cable itself is a USB 3.0 cable as well and we’re plugging directly into the blue USB 3.0 port. The cable definitely makes a difference you can tell if it is indeed correct if the male port has a blue finish on the cable as well, here is an example of a correct USB-C cable to USB 3.0 cable you will need to use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QKHPT35?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If this is correct you should see on your raspberry pi that your green light is flashing, this will indicate the MicroSD is being read. Your Raspberry Pi should have a steady red power light on as well. Most SSDs may have an activity light on the SSD itself and this should be on and flickering too. Please let me know what else you’ve tried and if you have these status indicator lights and we can continue to troubleshoot.

If your SSD has an activity light and is flickering and you’re still receiving this error please also feel free to share your debug logs. SSH into your node (ssh umbrel@umbrel.local in command line) then run this command cd ~/umbrel && sudo ./scripts/debug and then please copy and share the output using a link from somewhere link https://pastebin.com/ we can try to debug best we can. However, if the SSD is corrupt it may be hard to avoid formatting and starting up the node like new.

I have the same problem like him, but when i connect the SSD with my computer it allready doesn’t work. Could be the problem that i habe only 980GB on my SSD and not the full 1TB?

Hi there,

What kind of SSD and case is this?
Unfortunately it sounds like an issue with the SSD