How to change umbrel.local to something else?

thanks @DarthCoin but modifying my local hosts file is a workaround not a solution.

as far as I can tell, umbrel does not work with multiple node on the same network.

worked for me, exactly as I just explained to you.
If you have a local DNS server, you can set whatever names in your .local domain for each device/IP.
If you do not have a local DNS server, then the best way and eeasy is to edit your local hosts file.
Changing the umbrel code just for that will make things worst than you can imagine.
But if you really want to fuck around with your umbrel, go ahead. But donā€™t come back and complain or cry that your node is no longer working.

Thanks for trying to help @DarthCoin :pray:

Running a local DNS server doesnā€™t affect having the CORS error on login.

here is a quick list of existing github issues from different users experiencing same issue on that specific topic

in the last issue @lukechilds propose to modify /etc/hostname but it doesnā€™t solve the issueā€¦

I was having the same problem.
I found a post from Tomā€™s hardware, https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/raspberry-pi-change-hostname , However, You can change the hostname on each of the umbrel devices, then you wonā€™t get that stupid CORS error.

The raspi-config is the equivalent of your PCā€™s BIOS setup. There are several options for customizations. One of them is the hostname. use that link from Tomā€™s Hardware. Itā€™s real clear.

Status: Iā€™m getting closer to the root cause of why umbrelā€™s changing the host-name, even though there is no second umbrel on the network: A bug of avahi-daemon handling IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time
Github Issue

umbrel@umbrel:~ $ sudo systemctl status avahi-daemon
ā— avahi-daemon.service - Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2021-12-26 11:41:19 CET; 1 day 23h ago
 Main PID: 375 (avahi-daemon)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/avahi-daemon.service
           ā”œā”€375 avahi-daemon: running [umbrel-2.local]
           ā””ā”€394 avahi-daemon: chroot helper

Iā€™m digging deeper if there is any other mitigation but disabling IPv6 handling for avahi. Will report back here.
@DarthCoin and @Guillaume as FYI

@dar1LN Gave me the right idea for accomplishing this.

In my case, I had Ubuntu installed on a Rock PI 4B and had installed Umbrel via the curl command, and it used my deviceā€™s hostname: rockpi4b.local by default.

Chaning my deviceā€™s hostname via:

vim /etc/hostname

and restarting the device did the trick.

Initially, I received the same CORS error reported above, but stopping/starting Umbrel (via ~/umbrel/scripts/ seemed to resolve that.

2 Likes