How to create a Lightning Node Alias?

Restore to what?

If you made a backup of your original file e.g. lnd.conf.bak just rename it using:

cp lnd.conf.bak lnd.conf

… and restart lnd again :slight_smile:

You can place emojis in your node alias to spice things up a bit! Don’t go too crazy please, and include some regular characters so people can easily search for your node. To add an emoji simply copy the emoji (from an internet webpage, for example) and paste it into the LND conf file where you would normally edit your alias. It may not show up properly in command line, but when you save and exit it should show up properly nearly everywhere else!

I walked back all the steps, but RPC is not working now.
I don’t have a back up but I was wondering if I can just find a copy of the original formatting within the conf file, and proceed to correct it manually.

I finally managed to change color and alias, but then moved on to install a watchtower, and screwed it up again. Tried removing those lines, saving and restarting but now I can’t get rid of RPC error.

Thanks for helping!

Check your lnd.conf carefully as even a withespace on the wrong place can mess it up!

1 Like

Great guide thanks alot :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for this easy guide. I had fun!

Awesome. Easy to follow instructions that make this really easy to understand and complete. Thanks!

Nice, that worked out. I can se my ALIAS i RTL but I can not see it showing in https://explorer.acinq.co/
Do you know why?

Thanx for posting this, Deeke. I had to review how to use the editor, but it worked just like you said. Good job.

This video helped make this a lot easier for those of you like me who need to visually follow these things step-by-step

1 Like

Ha, first time I did this it didn’t work, total newb, because I used ‘i’ instead of ‘l’ for lnd.conf (i thought it was a capital I, but it is lower l for lightning network daemon).

I would also like to know the answer to this question :smiley:

Thanks for the tutorial
In umbrel 0.5.0 the path has now changed to

sudo nano umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/lnd.conf

All worked fine (now I can fill it)

3 Likes

so be it, I will no longer use umbrel in the future as I will switch to a bare metal node :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To restart lnd, I used: docker-compose restart lnd

But i get an error message. did the command change?

Any suggestions on which option I should select? I tried entering a few but nothing happened. Thank you.

With version 0.5.x, the path now is
/home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/lnd.conf

5 Likes

FYI, the path to lnd.conf mentioned in the instructions didn’t work for me. In Umbrel v0.5 and up try using the following:
sudo nano umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/lnd.conf

4 Likes

ah, so that’s where it went