How to Restart Your Umbrel

There’s a few different options on how to restart your Umbrel node, starting from a simple reboot to effectively deleting everything on your node and starting over.

Simple Restart
If you’re able to log into the Umbrel dashboard, the easiest way is to go to “Settings”->“Restart”

If that option is not available, your next option is to SSH into the machine. Run this entire set of commands once you’re in:

sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup && docker system prune -f && sudo systemctl start umbrel-startup

This will stop Umbrel processes safely, purge the system of various unused containers/images, and then restart the Umbrel scripts.

Additionally, you can also run:

sudo reboot

This will actually reboot your entire machine, which will reload some other non-Umbrel related things. The only downside is that you lose your uptime record (assuming you care about that).

Restart after a Stalled Upgrade
In rare cases, Umbrel will get stuck on an update. This happens most often when Umbrel is being run on untested hardware/software. If you are able to ssh into the node, run this command to kill the update and restart the umbrel.

rm -f ~/umbrel/statuses/update-in-progress && sudo reboot

Nuke Everything - BACKUP REQUIRED
If your node seems beyond repair, but you don’t want to scrap your entire download of the blockchain, then you can run the following command:

sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup && sudo rm -rf ~/umbrel/lnd/!(lnd.conf) && sudo rm -f ~/umbrel/db/user.json && sudo rm -f ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed && sudo systemctl start umbrel-startup

This will stop everything, delete all your user files, seed phrase, 2FA, password, etc. You’ll be presented with a login as if it’s the first time using Umbrel and you’ll want to restore from seed.

Important note - do not restart or shutdown after you do this, lnd will actually be in recovery mode and doing some work in the background. You do NOT want to interrupt it

5 Likes

Having recently overcome a number of set up issues myself, I can attest to how challenging it is to understand all the different ways of performing restarts.

This definitely seems like an area where more user interface options and abstractions can be developed to help guide users.

I tried this but it says -bash I: event not found :man_shrugging:t4:

After putting this on Terminal. Am i doing sonething wrong I just want to be able to enjoy the unbrel website and node

Are you ssh’ed into the Umbrel machine yet? This command should be entered into the umbrel machine itself.

I ended up reformatting the SSD and I an starting from zero. Currently loaded 40% of the Bitcoin core. I probably lost access to my funds ( not a lot )
And a channel that i had ( i see it on Ml1 ) not sure if a
i claim it. So this happened because I shutdown the raspberry from umbrel website. I went to my router and requested the Ip address where the umbrel is connected, not sure if that will make it a static IP address so I will hopefully wont have a problem in the future if I need to shutdown the machine ( I am hesitant to shut it down again ) what if the power goes off?

What is the easiest way to reformat everything and start over? Is there an SSH command that will reformat the SSD attached to my Pi4?

1 Like

The easiest way is probably just to plug your drive in to a different computer and reformat it that way, in Windows you can access a tool called “Disk Management”, where you can right click on the drive and format it (doesn’t really matter what you format it to). Once done, you can plug it back into the pi and Umbrel will do a few background things to get it back to where it needs to be.

How can I reset Umbrel without losing synchronized bitcoin chain?
Is that possible?

Read the first post of this topic. Very carefuly.

1 Like

That will be a lot of effort, to scroll up, read, understand… :rofl:

Is there a way to just delete 2fa. My current 2fa (Duo) is not authenticating when i enter it to umbrel so i cant log in! it takes my password but says incorrect code! agghhh

Thanks

How long should it typically take to restart if using the simple restart method? My Umbrel has been stuck on the rebooting page for quite a while.

Hey @XyukonR it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. Try to refresh the UI or run through the steps again if gets stalled.

1 Like

What is the difference between ‘sudo rm -rf…’ and ‘sudo rm -f…’? Just noticed in your command line for Nuke Everything.