How to restore your node wallet (updated)

I have tried 3 times.

I format HD and re-flash sd

The first thing that pops up say welcome to Umbrel enter your name.

1 Like

This happens to me too. ā€œNo such file or directoryā€. Did you manage to resolve it?

Restore.

Not fully synced with the Blockchain yet but used my 24 word recovery seed on restore. Sure hope once Iā€™m fully synced the bitcoin shows back in the wallet.

Can you please help? I canā€™t get the file to download

you have to put that channel.backup file into /data/.lnd/ folder
and run tghe command from the /umbrel/ folder

Noā€¦ any chance you have?

Thank you Darth.

How do I get the back up file in that folder? Would you be able to provide directions to that.

this is what the SD looks like on my side

Can I just drag and drop into that folder??

Also which file?
1637643702336.tar.gz.pgp ( This is the updated backup from dev team )
or
my-umbrel-channels.backup

I am also getting the No such file or directory error any help guys thanks!

umbrel@umbrel:~ $ scp /Users/garrett/Documents/my-umbrel-channels.backup umbrel@192.168.115.108:/home/umbrel

/Users/garrett/Documents/my-umbrel-channels.backup: No such file or directory

Please pay attention to details!
Why are you running the command in YOUR LOCAL PC and not in the node through SSH!?
What are going to do? Restore in your PC?
Just copy the file channel.backup into node disk /home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/
then run the command that start the restore procedure.

1 Like

I think the issue here is that many of us noobs non programmers are getting confused here not knowing the difference. I used filezilla to copy the file over thats the only way I could figure it out since I am on a mac. Thanks

1 Like

Let me explain my caseā€¦Iā€™ve had to recover with totally new ssd, the old one is gone forever. Started with username and password then 24 words. It begun sinchronization process of wallets and the blockchain. After 3 days itā€™s now 100% sinchronized. Since then 0 sats in bitcoin wallet. By the way Iā€™ve already contacted Mayank and he is assisting me with the latest backup file. At this point Iā€™m concerned if this is the same bitcoin wallet since i supposed to see at least some sats there. Donā€™t know what to do next? Should i start over again or rescan UTXOs or just proceed with the latest backup file when i have it?

Options for you:
A. If you already imported old seed, but not the channels.backup

• if the balance of your onchain wallet is not showing the sats you had before, something was wrong generating the wallet.
  • you better use the option 3 (Blixt wallet) together with the backup file obtained from Umbrel devs. Follow exactly the instructions described there to close and recover your funds from channels into onchain wallet.
  • Follow the instructions from Umbrel Troubleshooting manual to reset your user data in Umbrel and generate a new fresh clean instance and wallet. Will not wipe the blockchain sync, only the wallet and user. So create a new one. Test the new seed into Bluewallet checking if you generate same BTC address, before depositing anymore funds.

B. If you already imported the see and started the recovering procedure from channels

• if you already did the procedure with adding the seed + channel.backup file, DO NOT DO ANYTHING else! Just wait for the channels to be closed. This process takes time, at least 144 blocks. Patience, your funds will be back in your onchain wallet once are released.
  • Follow the instructions from Umbrel Troubleshooting manual from the section about how to check channels closure status.
  • once you have back all the funds in onchain wallet, I suggest to move them to an external temporary wallet, in one UTXO or multiple if you want, but move the funds out, then reset your umbrel data, to have a new clean identity and wallet. Is always good to start clean.

C. If you still didnā€™t import the old seed and/or channels.backup file

• just create a new Umbrel wallet/instance, clean
  • user option 3 from ā€œrestore node wallet guideā€ with Blixt. Once the funds are restored, you can move them into your new Umbrel onchain wallet or just use Blixt as a companion node for your Umbrel node.
2 Likes

If do a typo error in frase words, Umbrel dont give any warning but creates a new wallet. You can check the current words in the setings page.

1 Like

Iā€™ve checked, same. First i was thinking because of the blockchain wasnā€™t sinchronized yet but now it is and still nothing. Iā€™ve noticed in the amboss some of my peers already has closed channels successfuly. Where are going my sats then?

Iā€™m with this guyā€¦ I can get logged on to my node via CMD with SSH. But after that Iā€™m not sure how to manually copy the backup file on my PC.

So far:

1.) Open CMD
2.) ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local
3.) enter PW to log on

ā€¦ and thatā€™s where Iā€™m at

Iā€™m an idiotbackup ā€¦ DLing it from the dashboard works for me -

I was running into the same issue and found another post that helped. I pasted the part of the post that I found helpful and the link below. The lightbulb moment for me was that the SCP command should be run from your local machine, not after you have SSHā€™d into your node. I am in Windows and opened Powershell and ran the following command PRIOR to SSHā€™ing into the node. It will ask you for your nodeā€™s password after the command executes.

scp C:\Users\MAIRE\Downloads\my-umbrel-channels.backup umbrel@umbrel.local:/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup

It seemed to work and showed that some data had been transferred. I then SSHā€™d into the node and ran this line.

cd ~/umbrel && docker-compose exec lnd lncli restorechanbackup --multi_file /data/.lnd/channel.backup

My channels are now closing. Hope this helps.

You can follow these instructions to recover a channel backup:

Step 1: Copy over the channel backup file from your computer to your Umbrel.

Open the ā€œTerminalā€ app on Mac/Linux, or ā€œPowerShellā€ on Windows and run this:

scp <path/to/your/channel/backup/file> umbrel@umbrel.local:/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/channel.backup

(Replace <path/to/your/channel/backup/file> with the exact path to channel backup file on your computer)

You will be asked for a password which will be your Umbrel dashboard password, or if you havenā€™t set one up yet, enter moneyprintergobrrr.

Step 2: Recover the channel backup in LND

Run

ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local "cd ~/umbrel && docker-compose exec lnd lncli restorechanbackup --multi_file /data/.lnd/channel.backup"

Use the same password you used above.

After you run this, wait for 1 minute. You should now be able to see your channels being closed on http://umbrel.local/lightning .

Help Recovering Lightning Channel (Linux) - Support and Troubleshooting - Umbrel Community (getumbrel.com)

2 Likes

Do you know how long it takes for the channels to get closed? So far Iā€™m almost done with my recovery but some channels are still closingā€¦ six days now.

could take 40 blocks, 144 blocks or more. Just have patience.
Check in the troubleshooting manual how to see at which block the funds will be released.

1 Like