How to restore your node wallet (updated)

Thank you for this guide!, I just recovered my node in less than an hour with all LN channels working like a charm. Very important to have my seed phrase and a rsync copy of channels.db & wallet.db. My old node setup was a total loss, now downloading all blocks again.

Running my new Node on a custom Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Linux machine.

1 Like

Really nice to hear that! Good work!

Yes, this has helped me. The instructions in the guide are wrong for method 1. It would prevent a lot of further questions if the guide was corrected for method 1 @DarthCoin

I gotcha. So my channels have all been forced closed wouldn’t the sats go back to the same onchain wallet I sent them from?

What is wrong with method 1?

Prior to the SCP command, it appears to instruct you to ssh into Umbrel. But the SCP command should be ran on your windows PC where the channel.backup file is. This is why a lot of people are confused with method 1

OK, fixed

Yep, would be nice if instructions were there for Windows vs. Mac/Linux.

The instructions worked for me , the only thing I would add is:

• The recovery process forced me to close my open channels, but my sats were all recovered back to my main wallet. Instructions did not say this.

I think you are not reading all. Is right there. Also is well known that LND at restoring a SCB backup is closing the channels in order to recover the funds. Is STANDARD procedure.

thank you for guide,

when I try to restore wallet with umbrel seed phrase on blixt wallet, I’m getting an error

rpc error: code = Unknown desc = word <word> isn't a part of default word list,

I have confirmed multiple times if my seed is correct and it is, any ideas? thanks

Are you 100% sure you are using the good seed?
This sounds like a word from that seed is not correct.

yes,

I’m pretty sure that is the case,

and also I confirm the word in question is not on the list

That is the list of BIP39, LND is aezeed, something totally different.
I am confused now, what are you trying to do.

I am trying to recover my wallet from my seed phrase using “Blixt wallet” but I’m getting the error:

rpc error: code = Unknown desc = word <word> isn't a part of default word list

also, I have tried to import with “blue wallet” but cannot find it.

Do you have any suggestions?

You have the wrong seed words or you are trying to recover another seed.
Umbrel LND is a 24 words seed, aezeed format, here you have the words list.

Hey DarthCoin - I’m following these instructions trying to restore my wallet and channels but am getting this message when I copy the file into my Terminal CL. It is saying there is no such file or directory. Any ideas why? I’m entering “scp” followed by a space and then dragging and dropping the file from its location

I would suggest that is much better to just start a new nodeid, new seed with your newly installed umbrel node.
Do the recovery funds in Blixt mobile app (see point 3) with your old seed + channels.backup.
Is always good to start fresh a new node.

Or if you still want to reuse the old one, just copy the file channels.backup into your node mSD or SSD and make the restore commend from there.

I can find a place where i can enter 24 words in version 0.5. Need help)

Lightning Node app always starts from creating a new wallet, without options

3 Likes

It’s looking like with the latest update that it will not prompt me for a seed phrase when I launched up from scratch. How do I enter in my phrase once the node is synced? Also, my main TOR address changed, which I may mean my channels break (no way for my peers to know my new address). I’ve never heard of updating a peer’s TOR address, so I am dearly hoping my node’s LND TOR can be restored too.

2 Likes

Hi @VinnieG,

Can you help share how to build this GUI to get the channel.backup file from Umbrel?
I can still access my current Umbrel and need to restore lightning channels with Blixt mobile method.
I am a beginner of Linux cli and still not able to figure out how to access this with command line “/home/umbrel/umbrel/lnd/data/chain/bitcoin/mainnet/channel.backup”

Appreciate your help. Thanks.