How to use a second drive for your storage pool when not using a pi.

Hello everyone I thought I’d share this as it took me a day to figure out. If you’ve installed Umbrel on a Debian device that’s not the Pi you might find it’s not obvious how to connect an external hard drive or use a second internal drive as your storage pool. Here’s the secret.

1. Turn off your Umbrel device and connect the install drive and your second drive to your Linux computer.
  2. Format your second drive as ext4.
  3. Move the contents of /root on your umbrel drive to the root of your second hard drive.
  4. Edit the /etc/fstab on your umbrel drive to auto mount your second drive to /root.
  5. Plug it all in and you’re done!

Naturally these instructions expect you know a little about Linux administration. If there’s interest I can write a true step by step for people that know nothing about Linux but I’m not sure if that’s necessary.

I’m a novice and And I have Ubuntu on a small 128gb SSD in my PC. I would like to install Umbrel on it But would like it to be installed on the one terabyte drive that’s inside the PC is there a way that I can do this? What you described sounds like what I would like to do. Thanks in advance for any help.