Installed, synchronized, now what?

The instructions in getumbrel were clear and easy to follow. So now I have a full node up and running, but no idea what to do next.

I have 0 sats. I have read that to open a channel, I need to have at least some sats. But to get sats I need to have an opened channel.

I have seen a few videos about what to do once you know what to do, but did not find any that explain what to do first when you don’t know what to do.

I want to help, but first I need help.

Start with:

1. Getting started with Umbrel
  2. Read more from Guides section of this forum
1 Like

1 -Buy some sats (bitcoin fraction)
2 -transfer them to your lnd wallet in Umbrel
3- open channels with other nodes (make outbound or send balance)
4 - pay sats bills with your balance.
Thats all the basic ideas. Don’t open small balance channels, you may not refill them easily, and its very difficult to close low balance channels.

1 Like

I was in this boat last year. And if I may add, I think if you do not plan on using the lightning network or making lightning transactions, there is no reason to open a lightning channel with anyone.

For me, I just stack my sats in my core wallet, research transactions with the Mempool app, and zen out with Bitfeed app. That’s about it. But your mileage may vary. For me, my node is my gateway into bitcoin and my hard wallet (not my entire wallet…just one of many…don’t put all of your eggs in one basket, as they say).

1 Like

Finally I installed the Shakepay app on my phone, bought some Bitcoins and was able to transfer them into my Umbrel Bitcoin wallet.

I’m on my way !

Thank you all.