Thor Lightning Channel is a product offered by Bitrefill, which allows you to create large incoming capacity from Bitrefill towards your own Umbrel Lightning node. This is useful if you want to get paid on LN, you have customers who want to pay you for products, or you just want to create incoming capacity to balance your LN node.
The tricky part is that since your Umbrel node is protected behind Tor (unrelated to Thor), Bitrefill can’t easily connect to it without you allowing it first. So here are the instructions on how to do it:
- Naturally you need to have your Umbrel fully synced and running with a Lightning node.
- Within your Umbrel go to App Store and download the Ride The Lightning (RTL) app.
- Buy a Thor Lightning Channel from Bitrefill. (Optionally pay with LN if you have outgoing capacity.)
- Get your Lightning Address from your Umbrel node. It’s available by clicking the ••• icon in the top right area under the Lightning sidebar nav. And provide it during checkout.
- Now go to your RTL. Open Lightning sidebar nav / Peers/Channels sub nav / Peers tab and click on Add Peer and add Bitrefill’s node as a peer:
- Now just wait and Bitrefill will automatically open a channel to you.
- If not, write to support and they will provide you with a correct peer to connect to (if the above address is obsolete).
What you can expect after you get the incoming capacity is that your newly created incoming capacity will be rebalanced by other LN nodes and it will be quickly filled up, emptying your other channels. This is likely because Bitrefill’s nodes have a lot of outgoing capacity, because everybody is trying to pay them for their services, and less outgoing capacity. So your newly created empty channel towards them is very valuable and worth the routing fees you earn during this rebalancing process.
If you try it out, please correct me if any step is unclear or incorrect.