LNBIG is a big network of LN nodes with huge channels and liquidity. They offer relatively cheap incoming channel capacity. Appr. $3 for a 2M SAT channel, and $4 for a 16M SAT channel. You have to pay for it on LN. Here are the steps to set it up. It looks long and complicated, but when you actually do it, it’s easy and you will be done within 1-2 minutes.
- First tab: Open your Umbrel on the LN page, you will need to pay the invoice from here
- Second tab: Install and open the RTL (Ride the Lightning) app from the Umbrel App Store
- Within RTL go to Lightning > Peers/Channels > Peers (tab), you will need to add LNBIG’s node as a peer later here
- Third tab: Open LNBIG: https://lnbig.com
- Find the Inbound channel to you section and make your choice of channel size
- Click next to get a QR code of the invoice to be paid. You can pay this with your mobile if you have enough sats on it or with your Umbrel.
- If you’re paying with Umbrel, you need to do a little trick. CTRL click the QR code and copy link. You get an invoice something like this: lightning:lnbc117860n1psvetv3pp5prk3f73fx53tau0r6lu9g6je7sreuxq0ye2geqvctg04j3asmu6sdz0235x2grswfjhqcted4jkuapqvehhygrpyp3ksctwdejkcgr0wpjku6twvusxzapqf38yy6289e3k7mgcqzpgxqrpxasp5c644ntejnrr0gld739ncpe3vu35ygt3yejnhr0c5mr3f65husfgs9qy9qsq39xruvxg2chxagfa0qd9hrvtt0ppsat9pxky5atp2h96tfngzhnjm86gzy5qrteg59hpe6qcxtamlr7p4jxzk4rdy28g99wqyze7qsgqgjkv2x
- Paste in the invoice to your Umbrel lightning send field, but remove the part: lightning: in the front.
- Pay for it and don’t expect it to resolve immediately, it’s a special invoice that only executes if the channel open is successful. This is pretty cool btw.
- Return to the LNBIG tab and notice that it will ask you to use an LNURL to connect, but you need to use the second tab which allows you to provide a node id, which is what you should do.
- Copy out your Lightning Address from your Umbrel LN page, and test if it LNBIG accepts it. It should.
- Now LNBIG will tell you to connect to their node. It will give you the ID of the LNBIG channel and a node id, but this is node id will not be helpful to connect. You need to do another last hoop to make this work.
- Go to https://1ml.com/search and search for LNBIG.com, find the node id that is given to you by LNBIG that you need to connect to. Then, click on that node.
- Finally, you can copy out the complete node ID that you need in RTL, which looks something like this (for example for id 17): email@example.com:9735
- Go to to RTL, click Add Peer and paste in the full node id that you got above.
- That’s it. When you return to LNBIG you will see it detects that you connected to it, and it will immediately open the channel. You can see this on your Umbrel on the LN page or in RTL under the channels tab. You just have to wait 3 confirmations on-chain.