Ledger hardware wallet

Fantastic :metal:

can someone help me connect my ledger to the specter app in umbrel. I have read most of the above and it still wont recognize the ledger. I have it plugged in , on and in bitcoin and have pressed both buttons but still doesnt recognise. have tried the spectre desktop app as well

am running windows on laptop. node fully running, block chain downloaded days ago

This isn’t supported, as mentioned by @lukechilds “Umbrel apps run in a secure sandbox and don’t have permission to access the devices USB ports.” BitBox - Specter Desktop - Multi Sig - #8 by lukechilds

Your Ledger should be able to connect to the standalone Specter desktop app. Make sure to select the Bitcoin App on the Ledger and then press both buttons at the same time when Specter prompts you to connect your device.

1 Like

ok have connected my ledger to the specter desktop app but cant get my node to be recognised even after following your directions above , when I press test after pasting in all the umbrel fields nothing happens

can someone please help me connect my specter desktop to my node? i have entered all the node info in the fields but when I press test it doesn’t recognize it?

I have two BTC accounts in Ledger Live, both Native Segwit. Yet only the first account shows up in Specter Desktop. I can’t add the second account. Any solution for this problem?

Edit: https://github.com/cryptoadvance/specter-desktop/issues/696#issuecomment-737047285
The above link solved my problem. Adding the custom derivation m/84h/0h/1h did the trick.

Hi grinder,

Your procedure was much appreciated. I however did not find these exact instructions to work.
From what I understand it was some issue with the Specter Desktop installation on my Mac failing to connect to my Umbrel node via Tor. The version of Tor I installed was the one via Homebrew provided in the directions by Umbrel. (see image attached) I ended up uninstalling this instance of Tor and instead using the built in Tor daemon in Specter and the connection to my Umbrel node via Tor worked successfully.

So if others are reading this and have issues connecting their Spector Desktop to their Umbrel node via Tor, this might be a solution.

Absolutely the right thing to do. Most important, it’s working now. :+1:

Hi Grinder,

Do you know if these steps will also work for Trezor wallets? Or is there a better way to use Trezor with Umbrel? I’ve read some posts about using Electrum but I would prefer to use Specter if possible.

Thanks.

Hi there and welcome to the community. To be honest, I only have experience using Ledger with Specter. Technically the process should be the same, and Specter desktop does support Trezor wallets.

1 Like

I tried Specter wallet and found it utterly confusing, and was unable to access any of my 10 or so “accounts” from Ledger Live.

Someone made this helpful Dockerized script to create a local proxy for your Bitcoin node, to accept “clearnet” connections from Ledger Live, and forward them over the TOR network to your node.

Update the docker-compose.yaml file, as per the instructions on the Github page, to set the connect-host and connect-port values, which you can get from the Connect Specter Desktop page in your Umbrel. Also use the username and password shown on that page for connecting Ledger Live, default values for everything else, and it was able to connect to the node.

Note that when Ledger Live tells you to unlock your device, open the Bitcoin app after doing that.