[Poll] How long did it take your Umbrel to sync Bitcoin Core?

I thnk a lot depends on your node and whether it has sufficient RAM and whether you are using an SSD.

and the other nodes nearby…

From opening the Pi box until syncing hit 100%, it was about 36hrs. Much faster using an SSD than building it on my Synology NAS with standard HDD’s and a Docker container, as I’ve done in the past.

1Gbit connection with Xfinity, hardwired into an eero Pro. It’s just humming along in the spare room enjoying it’s new life as a BTC verification hub.

A little less than one week running a SSD and RPI 8GB prime delivered on Monday and I was up and running on the Friday

Took less than 43 hours, even with 2 Pi freezes. First one I didn’t notice for hours

Hi, @WJF3, I think you misinterpret what the figures shown on the dashboard mean. I assume the network hash is a reflection of what the bitcoin blockchain actually was at the time your umbrel node parsed the block on the chain during the sync process. As in, it shows a snapshot in history what the global net hashrate was at that point in time, not the realtime hashrate… Im assuming to gain the realtime hashrate your node is looking at current mining diff x block time, etc type of calculation through blockexplorer which is only available after umbrel had synced…
So, in your images posted above during the start of the sync process the hashrate shown is low, but as you get closer to 100% sync you are getting a higher hashrate reading as your node gets closer to what the actual hashrate was at the time… Until you reached 100% by then you are shown live nethash of the network (as per description previously)

This is my understanding of how nodes sync and how blockchains report back to clients.

Well done getting yourself setup tho.! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

4 days. Using an older WD Purple disk I had left over from tivo. 8gb PI

I used a 2TB USB powered HDD and it took almost 4 days. I expected much longer since it was not a solid state drive. There any downside to using HDD nowdays?

Great advice for if ever in an emergency

1 Like

I’m four days into syncing Bitcoin Core to a Raspberry Pi 4GB, and I’m at 28%.

I think I’ve made the mistake of using a cheap HHD, this one linked here.

Also, I’ve noticed everyone’s got a much larger hash rate, I’m down at 4 Eh/s. Again, is that the crappy HDD?

Is it worth going out a buying a better SSD?

Will probably take longer if your node is connected with Wifi instead of a hard wire.

I changed to a SSD - literally about 50x faster…

2 Likes

About 4 days. Hashrate was in the single digits sometimes. Now that it’s up and running, it’s between 170 to 180.

53 to 55 hours.

1 Like

5 days!

1 Like

Just finished synchronizing today (12/11/2021). Took 8 weeks and 2 days.
Here is what I used:

• Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (32 GB micro SD)
  • Seagate BaraCuda 2TB HDD
  • ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case
  • Connected to Wifi (200 Mbps download)

5 days.

4 days

3 days to sync and almost a half a day to index. I rounded my vote up to 4 days.

Raspberry Pi 4 set up from The Bitcoin Machines w/ethernet wired >250 MB download speeds

Installed on an old Optiplex PC, took only one day to sync :grinning:
Host: OptiPlex 7010 01
Kernel: 5.13.0-28-generic
Shell: bash 5.0.17
CPU: Intel i5-3470 (4) 0 3.600GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 1989MiB / 15889MiB /