[Poll] How long did it take your Umbrel to sync Bitcoin Core?

Dam, I’m with an ORICO 2.5 external drive on a TheBicoinMachine with broken DoiDo’s SATA board.

Just started a new sync after previous fail I’m worried because the external drive is connected via usb3 directly to the Raspberry (Pi 4 8GB) but powered from the DoiDo board that is broken.

Rasberry is also connected via ethernet cable to the modem. Currently, it took 3 hours to sync 0.70% of the btcCore… if it continues at this speed I estimate it will take 434 hours = 18 days 🤦

Any suggestion on how to speed up the sync?

But how to improve rapidity ?

1 Like

I’m trying to figure it out too… apparently patience is the only way!

2 Likes

75% after 20 days, I’m patient but … :frowning:

Yeah, I think choosing the right hardware it’s the best advantage at the beginning. I actually read somewhere that downloading the btcCore before running umbrel helps save hips of time. But not sure about the process. I’m just at 1% sync now, so happy to stop and restart if I find a better way… any suggestion?

I have a local full node connected, but it doesn’t improve nothing,
disconnect tor, but minus peer connected so I reconnect
So I don’t have any other idea

What do you mean by “I have a local full node connected”? So you have a second full node running and the slow one is a new one you are setting up and taking 20d for 75% sync? Maybe is due to the internet connection then and some limit it might have?

In my case, I notices what a difference it does having an external SSD versus an SSD on a board connected directly to the Raspberry

@Copinmalin which hardware are you on?

On a PC, I’ve a bitcoincore running with a full node, and I add a ‘addnode=“addresslocalnode”’ in Umbrel to help speed download.
Internet connexion isn’t quickly (13MB) but I think it’s the calculation each block take many time (1 by 20s)

@Copinmalin ok, definitely the 13Mbps doesn’t help, or as you mentioned the block calculation probably takes a lot of resources… also heard that the block calculation has increased notably lately. What is the hashrate in your umbrel?

BTW: why do you want to run a lightweight node into a fullnode? just to try umbrel? should not each node have different IP?

@Le_Gringeot how did you get the btcCore syncing in just 55 hours? which hardware are you running on? any trick you can share?

why do you want to run a lightweight node into a fullnode?

Miscomprehension, I’ve a bitcoincore wallet with a full node in one PC, and I want run an Umbrel for lightning and other apps proposed on another server, in the same localnetwork.
So each one have this full node.

Umbrel is installed on an Optiplex - 4Gb memory 8Gb swap - 1 To HDD - and Ubuntu

Make much more sense :slight_smile: apparently hashrate and connected peers make the difference too… how many you have in your side?

Here just few

Uhhu… that HDD probably is another factor that doesn’t help speeding things up!

1 Like

90 EH/s - 10 peers connected

you pretty low in hashrate. here is 24TH/s and 10 Peers

1 Like

Are you sure ? EH>TH no ?

apparently nop! 1TH = 0.000001EH… just validated here

Yes so You must have 90000000TH for just 90EH.
Actually I have a power of 90000000TH and you 24TH, I think I have more power

@Copinmalin and @n080dy the hashrate you see doesn’t mean your node is hashing anything… it’s the bitcoin network mining hashing speed – it’s a misconception that if you’re fully synced, you’d have exahashes/sec for your “hashing” power, but Umbrel isn’t a mining rig. If you look at historical data, you’d see the network speed isn’t that high a long time ago when Bitcoin was first introduced.
@mayank Maybe we need to write a note in that hashing field, so people don’t get confused in thinking it’s their node being slow in hash speed when it has nothing to do with the inital sync nor the mining.

5 Likes