Recycling old hardware to run Umbrel on Ubuntu

Hi Umbrel Community!

I just finished to setup my Umbrel on Ubuntu 20.04 using an old Dell Laptop with Intel Celeron and 1TB SSD:

BTW, my reddit post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/getumbrel/comments/ojlbxr/my_own_first_node/

I wanna share some steps I got by myself to make it work:

1. Follow instrucctions to install requirements in Umbrel README: https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel#installation-requirements

2. (Only if External SDD is used, skip if OS is installed in it). Before install Umbrel in an external SSD you need to format and mount your 1TB SSD in /etc/fstab so you can setup a systemd service later.

• Use the Disk app (search “disks”) to format it as EXT4 to make it work: (Tried NTFS but didn’t work)

• Then get your SSD UUID with the command lsblk -f or blkid:
umbrel@umbrel:~$ lsblk -f
NAME         FSTYPE   LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda          ext4           3eebfe26-2401-4b3a-8ed5-952c11e87848  772.5G    11% /mnt/umbrel
mmcblk0
├─mmcblk0p1  vfat           30F8-FAB6                             467.2M     2% /boot/efi
├─mmcblk0p2  swap           56ea6474-2fc5-48d9-b5fb-afabeeb3abc0                [SWAP]
└─mmcblk0p3  ext4           282dd24d-b50b-42fe-b812-9d3e827bd6a6   14.4G    36% /

In my case my UUID is 3eebfe26-2401-4b3a-8ed5-952c11e87848

• Create an umbrel mount directory sudo mkdir /mnt/umbrel
  • Edit the file sudo nano /etc/fstab and add your SSD
umbrel@umbrel:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/mmcblk0p3 during installation
UUID=282dd24d-b50b-42fe-b812-9d3e827bd6a6 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/mmcblk0p1 during installation
UUID=30F8-FAB6  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/mmcblk0p2 during installation
UUID=56ea6474-2fc5-48d9-b5fb-afabeeb3abc0 none            swap    sw              0       0
# Umbrel 1 TB SSD
UUID=3eebfe26-2401-4b3a-8ed5-952c11e87848 /mnt/umbrel     ext4   noatime,nodiratime,defaults 0       2
  • Restart your Ubuntu and check the SSD is being mounted in /mnt/umbrel (command lsblk -f)
  1. Setup a systemd Service:
  • Create a systemd file sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/umbrel.service
[Unit]
Description=Umbrel start script
After=network.service NetworkManager-wait-online.service mnt-umbrel.mount

[Service]
ExecStart=/mnt/umbrel/Umbrel/scripts/start

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
  • Reload systemd services sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  • Enable Umbrel service sudo systemctl enable umbrel.service
  • Restart your ubuntu and check Umbrel started successfully with command sudo systemctl status umbrel

And thats it, now connect to your umbrel and continue the setup as usual.Then wait for the blockchain to sync.

Also, I hope you can recycle old hardware as well to get your Umbrel up and running smothly, Happy node sync!!! :sparkles: :rocket:

2 Likes