SSD keeps disconnecting

I’m having a hard time getting the SSD to stay connected.

Background info:

• I’m using the official Pi4 power supply
  • Using SSD and Enclosure recommended by Umbrel (Crucial MX500, Orico USB3 to Sata)

Things i’ve tried:

• re-imaging SD card
  • formatting SSD

Every few hours/randomly i get the “external drive disconnected” message telling me to try the official power supply. At one point I saw in the logs that a bad blockchain block was detected, so I ssh’d in and started the re-index process.

2 Likes

Same issue for me. Purchased all components recommended by umbrel.

1 Like

Same, happens almost every hour, unusable. Been two weeks trying to sync past 30%. When it restarts couple times then SSD would stay connected for a thousand more blocks, then drops again.

Checked cables, power supply, reconnected ssd inside enclosure several times.

All parts recommended on the umbrel site.

1 Like

I had really bad instability issues with Orico M2PV-C3-BK-EP enclosure on my desktop, so I decided to buy an alternative before testing it with Raspberry and Umbrel.
I have the AXAGON EEM2-UG2 now that I also tested extensively and it works much better in my case.

The Orico has the Realtek RTL9210 chipset, and the Axagon has the JMicron JMS583, this might be the reason, but I’m not sure.

2 Likes

I can confirm that replacing Orico with a direct connection cable I’ve had no SSD disconnect issues for 24h now.

Umbrel should remove this enclosure from recommended hardware list,

1 Like

Got same issue but in the other way.
Have bought first all good recommended part, excepted the orico box, umbrel wasnt working and gave me the typical SSd error page…

So i bought a Orico box, as recommended…
It work, 2 days…
I had to restart the node after 2 days to move it from his place, and after reboot , again this stupid SSD error…
Dont know what to do seriously…

1 Like

I’m going to do the same thing and just ordered a direct cable.

The direct cable solved all the issues.

2 Likes

What do you mean by a direct connection cable? I’m having exact same issues with the Orico

i mean just a cable, with no box …
But it doesnt work for me, gonna reflash the SD again, and try again…
Really dont understand why suddenly this orico box doesnt fit anymore…
Also, i see a lot of people posting here about that SSD issue, lot solve it, but a lot seems to never find a solutions.
Sad that this issue is not more documented

Just going from SATA to USB3 with a cable like this (StarTech.com USB 3.1 to 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Adapter) and skipping the enclosure.

2 Likes

Try another usb port. Blue one works fine for me with direct cable. As for documentation, that’s what we are doing here )

1 Like

I’m going to mark this resolved tomorrow if the connection lasts a full day, but so far this is the way to go instead of the Orico enclosure. The Orico never stayed connected for more than 12 hours, and usually failed well before that.

1 Like

I was having this same problem with the same gear. I don’t know why, but I took the back cover off the ssd case and it seemed to improve the reliability a lot - I could at least move the parts around my desk and not have it disconnect. I ended up getting a dedicated SSD to USB wire, will see how the works. I do not think Umbrel should recommend this SSD case anymore.

I also got a SATA to USB cable and it immediately ran for over 24 hours without any issues so I agree the recommended case is the issue.

1 Like

Same exact issue as you. Drop the Orico case and just go direct from SSD via SATA III to USB 3.0. Node has been working flawlessly for me now for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I just marked this as the solution. Seems rock solid now after ditching the Orico case. Umbrel should probably remove this case from their list of recommended parts.

2 Likes

I finally bought an official PSU, so i have all recommended part…
Then it still wont work, with the orico case or the direct link, still had the issue of “no external drive found”

Are you using the USB3 (blue) port on the Pi?

of course ^^