Stuck backing up after failed OS update

Okay, so what does it say? Did you sudo ./scripts/start and sudo reboot, I’d be curious what your debug says 10’ after the restart

I’m doing a similar process, how long did that loading screen take for you?

yeah i did… didn’t notice any change to the logs

LND just says no wallet. create wallet. Not sure if anything of interest on bitcoin side… ?

Yo. hrmm… it took me many days to get the system back online

Honestly, i don’t even recall exactly what did it. i reflashed the SD multiple times and i think that eventually worked… but am still having issues with bitcoin and lnd wallets stuck synchronizing

Sorry mate I was pre-occupied. What’s the current state in your logs?

no need to apologise ser. Appreciate your hwlp. Logs are here

Okay, that’s unfortunate. Let me summarize and then getting in touch with someone who has more experience on wallet recovery (pinging @DarthCoin here, headsup I may send Iowa your way via Telegram)

Summary

• The update progress got stuck at the backup process
  • you did reflashes, lnd.conf reset, wallet unlocks via lncli but to no avail
  • recent debug log shows the following concerns

Deriving keys...
cat: /home/umbrel/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed: No such file or directory
Missing derivation parameter, this is unsafe, exiting.

lnd | 2022-01-14 06:32:51.776 [ERR] RPCS: [/lnrpc.Lightning/ChannelBalance]: wallet not created, create one to enable full RPC access

Next Steps

1. Check whether your wallet.dat is actually there, has umbrel / umbrel as group / owner and rw (read/write) access: ls -la -h ~/umbrel/bitcoin/
  2. Check whether the seed file is there, karen is complaining about it. Don’t share it, just check for yourself: ls -la ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/ -h and then cat ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed
  3. If neither 1 or 2 not there, ensure you have your 24 seed words, your SCB (Static Channel Backup), and ideally your channel.db from here : ls -la ~/umbrel/lnd/data/graph/mainnet/ -h copied from your node into a safe place via SCP
  4. Pinging @DarthCoin here - or join Telegram, to advise which is the following options is the most safe but also most optimistic route to get your funds (no problem) and your channels (unsure) back to it’s state.

Afterall, you still have your channel.db, and your 24 words, I’m uncertain if you can just create a wallet on your existing node. That’s better to be checked with someone who already did it (not me).

Linking the Node Recovery thread as a reference. I’m thinking about Blixt (Option 3) or experimental (Option 6). Alternatively, trying to pester Umbrel Devs for help might work, but I am not sure.

Hope this helps :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yes, I was reading this thread. Didn’t interfere in your discussion yet, just looking. Interesting case.
Recovering funds and wipe the whole node data is the last resort.
Maybe there are still some steps to do.
But if @lowa do not want to dig more, then yes, a faster way is to recover funds in Blixt and then start with a new Umbrel node, new ID, new wallet, all fresh. Is the best, easy, fast way.

2 Likes

is there any value in doing the latest OS update? Assuming it’s unlikely to fix anything, just curious…

1. is the walllet.dat file supposed to be in ~/umbrel/bitcoin?

if so, it is not there…

1. umbrel/-seed/ folder exists but no seed file within.

2. I have seed phrase and lnd channel backup file from a month or so ago…

3. i read through darthcoin’s substack on restore options (which is awesome btw ser), and specifically blixt option, and downloaded the app to explore (which is actually so cool, to be able to run a neutrino node on mobile… )

im happy to dig. its been a great opportunity to learn…

I think at least the risk of breaking anything is pretty low :expressionless:

Yes, 1 and 2 should be there. Apparently that’s not the case, hence we know why LND can’t start, without a wallet, it won’t do.

Do you happen to have a backup of your lnd folder, where you could recover both the seed file and the wallet?

I’m really intrigued to check whether you could

Option 1

• setup a brand new node, but recover with your wallet 24 words
  • stop LND
  • bring in the channels.db from your old node, as long you can 100% guerantuee that it’s the latest version
  • fire up LND again

Option 2

• build out a new node, with your 24 words
  • grab the wallet.dat and seed file from there
  • flank those two over to your old node and see if LND starts

In theory, this is scenario 6 or 7 in Darthcoins recovery methodologies, that should work. Moving LND from one server to another is possible. The only danger is, that you can’t have an old state of your channel.db get online at all. LND will penalise you for a potential fraud, and your funds in the still existing channels are at risk.

If you don’t wanna play by that risk, it’s better to

1. Update to the newest version, see if anything changes (I doubt it, you have no wallet)
  2. Start new, get the SCB online so all your peers force-close
  3. with those funds, build your node channels up from scratch.
1 Like

screenshots of folders just for your piece of mind. files (seed + wallet.dat) definitely not there.

I don’t have a backup of lnd folder, from prior to this. only channel file backup

If i already backed up channel.db, back in dec prior to OS update, I assume it’s not needed to do again? Can you confirm tho just in case please @Hakuna

Yes, can confirm. Quick summary:

the channel.db

currently dated last update at 15th of Jan - is not workable with backups. As soon a new state is written to it, eg like a gossip update with a transaction or even a fee change, causing your backup to be out of date. So backing up channel.db with anything else but a raid or a db sync in realtime is a no go.
Since your LND doesn’t start, it cannot be written to, so the file you have here is the latest state. You can backup it now, as long you ensure LND doesn’t start.

wallet.dat

Your wallet, even though disappeared, is not that sensitive. It’s your encrypted mnemonic, hence my theory above that you could reinitiate it with your 24 words on another LND. But hence my reference to @DarthCoin, I’m not an expert how to rebuild for LND with Umbrel

channel.backup

Even though misleading name, this is just a static backup channel file (SCB) which has a copy of your channels in it, from the date when it was triggered. Umbrel recreates / updates this file each time you update or sometimes even with restarts. You can theoretically use any copy of it, even 2 months old.
What will be happening though (hence misleading name)

• you upload it to the LND gossip
  • it sends a force-close command to your channel peers listed in that file - at that date
  • so when you send an SCB with timestamp November, it’ll only ping your peers you had in November.
  • every channel open since then doesn’t get pinged, hence you would need to either personally connect those channel runners, or wait for them to force-close to you

Hope this distinguishment makes sense. I can’t however make the decision whether you go for Option 1 or 2 outlined above

2 Likes

Super appreciate the detailed explanation @Hakuna, thank you.

Very well explained!

1 Like

delayed update.

i couldn’t get umbrel to install a fresh instance, and am actually still struggling to figure out why. I have flashed the SD many times, and formatted it fully prior to doing so, but upon restart, umbrel still loads and asks for existing password - not seed.

Given this situation i decided to try darths method using blixt.
Can report onchain funds were obtained, but i believe LN channel was force closed and funds taken. Unsure exactly why, but i do have the logs if they’re safe to share. Guessing it was closed as Hakuna explained above as it think you are trying to commit some kind of fraud.

ran:
sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup && sudo rm -rf ~/umbrel/lnd/!(lnd.conf) && sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/user.json && sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed && sudo systemctl start umbrel-startup

and have setup new instance and wallet.db files are back.