Umbrel not recognizing SSD

Ok apparently macOS does not offer ntfs or fat32, shall i go with the MS-DOS (FAT) option?

@n080dy Use the ExFAT option, since Umbrel will format it to ext4 (extFS 4) automatically at first setup. If you used the MS-DOS (FAT) then it will only format up to 64GB out of whatever you have on the SSD – which you don’t want.

1 Like

You should read well what we said. We are trying to help you find the problematic part in your machine (Raspi or sata adapter board or SSD or power suply).
What is the write speed to the SSD in your PC?

Not yet. Change the USB cable. Check if it is a USB3 cable (has a blue plastic inside conector). Bad cable is commom issue. The speed is very low.

yes the USBcable02 has blue plastic inside both connectors. also tried with USBcable01 = NOusb3 cable = No Blue light =

• 4th speed test with USBcable01 and doidoSATAadapter = SSD doesn’t come up on the drives list (here attached picture of this setup)

well, seems you have a bad board of the machine.
But you seem to have a spare sata adapter. Do even this directly in the PC only gives that low speeds? It is spected at least 100MB/s file copy speed with a usb3 port to a SSD. Cant understand it. Maybe you have 2 or 3 broken cables…

@LoboGuara yes I attach the differentSATAadapter directly to my laptop, it comes from old external HD together with the USBcable01 (that is not a usb3) that’s why it is so slow, but enough to test and format the SSD drive

does your laptop have a usb3 port? you can’t check if usb3 cable is ok without a usb3 port.

@n080dy – after reading the debug logs, it appears that Umbrel recognizes the drive, and attempts to formats it to ext4, that’s great… but then it stalls out – I’m suspecting that it is the doido SATA board itself that isn’t compatible.

I would recommend replacing the SATA board with just an USB to SATA enclosure. This is what I used and worked perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B8BQJNC/
Actually any USB 3.0 enclosure that supports UASP should work, but the one I linked above works flawlessly for me.

Hopefully that would solve all the issues you’re having.

1 Like

Made an account just to post on this thread - had the same error and switched to a new USB cable and that solved it. I reformatted to ExFAT again before plugging it in also.

1 Like