Umbrel stuck syncing

Whole bunch of us dead in the water here with the same issue.

1 Like

I’m resorting to looking at other forums where people are having this similar issue with running a “node” not Umbrel per se. The suggestion is to remove the peers.dat file, I’ve attempted to do that but apparently it would also require passing -rescan when starting “bitcoin” in order to rescan peers. The other option suggested is to pass -reindex on the startup. These don’t appear to be options on Umbrel start script.

1 Like

Okay, don’t do what I did, it didn’t work. I’m going to try and wipe my install and start fresh. Stopped Umbrel, dropped my docker database and re-installed. I’m back to processing blocks, lets hope for the best. Thanks!

1 Like

Bumping this, still no success on my side in getting this working.
Tried everything I can think of.

Have the same issue!

1 Like

I reflashed the SD disk with a fresh download.

Literally nothing changed at all.

1 Like

Hello. Running on Raspi with HDD.

I had exactly the ‘hangup’ that is screenshotted above. I saw that the bitcoin container was restarting every 45 seconds. I took a look at the logs and under bitcoin saw a statement saying to set reindex=1 in bitcoin.conf.

I did that and am now getting this error:

bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z init message: Loading block index…
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Switching active chainstate to Chainstate [ibd] @ height -1 (null)
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z LevelDB using max_open_files=1000 (default=1000)
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Wiping LevelDB in /data/.bitcoin/blocks/index
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Opening LevelDB in /data/.bitcoin/blocks/index
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z leveldb: Delete type=3 #1
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Opened LevelDB successfully
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Using obfuscation key for /data/.bitcoin/blocks/index: 0000000000000000
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z WriteBatch memory usage: db=index, before=0.0MiB, after=0.0MiB
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Initializing databases…
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z LevelDB using max_open_files=1000 (default=1000)
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Wiping LevelDB in /data/.bitcoin/chainstate
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Fatal LevelDB error: IO error: /data/.bitcoin/chainstate/066544.ldb: Bad message
bitcoin | Error: Error opening block database
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z You can use -debug=leveldb to get more complete diagnostic messages
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Fatal LevelDB error: IO error: /data/.bitcoin/chainstate/066544.ldb: Bad message
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Error: Error opening block database
bitcoin | 2021-06-01T22:07:02Z Shutdown: In progress…

Syncing takes a longtime. I have been runningfor 2 weeks and are only at 45%, and now itgoes much slower, so it will take 30 till 60 more days to sync.
It it possible to download this instead?

I am using a 1 TB SSD and Raspberry 4 with 4 GB of RAM

I think I am using an SSD. How can I check it? I can SSH into the Raspberry from my PC and see what is mounted, but how do I see if it is SSD or HDD?

I just found out that it is 1 TB HDD…****grrrrr

I “solved” the issue by connencting the ssd to my pc and formating it.
Then umbrel began syncing from the beginning without problems.

I then again forced the problem by disconnecting power with the blockchain fully synced.

So the issue can happen anytime!

I understand that the problem is data corruption but is there no solution?
Is the complete database corrupted?
Maybe rollback a few blocks or a manual/automatic complete resync??

I read somewhere that they are trying a new file system to reduce data corruption.
Any news on that front?

2 Likes

One thing for folks to check, banged my head on this for several days, noted in the log that there was an error reading settings.json. For the dash just hanging, showing no values, ensure you have both these files. ./electrs/.bitcoin/settings.json
./bitcoin/settings.json
the only values IN these files is what follows:
{
}

After fixing that, (one file was missing) everything is peachy keen.

Can you clarify this a little bit? I found /bitcoin/setting.json and it had the brackets but a few extra spaces on the second line. I removed the spaces but no change. I have only two entries in the /electrs directory, another directory named db and a file called electrs.toml

Is there supposed to be something else in this directory?

You found the one in the .bitcoin directory? There’s a hidden directory with a .bitcoin, you won’t find it without ls -lsa or sudo find . -name settings.json
./umbrel/electrs/.bitcoin/settings.json
./umbrel/bitcoin/settings.json

Well if it’s not there you won’t “find” it, and that’s the directory where mine was missing. from the /electrs directory cd .bitcoin and you should find it there, if it’s not there, you’ve found the problem I had.

I did see that it was missing from ./umbrel/electrs so I added it there. This didn’t make any difference that I can see for my installation.

You restarted after that?

Yes have done a couple of reboots since then. The strange part is that the activity of the pi and SSD is exactly the same as the pattern while it was doing the initial sync. When I open the mempool app it shows that latest block as a 3 week old block and doesn’t seem to get any newer. I tried the reindex command that I saw in another post last night and nothing has changed.

I am using a different SSD than the recommended one, here are my logs: https://umbrel-paste.vercel.app/af8cda3d6f75f201cbefa17d546cd6bd