Attempted upgrade to 1.0 blew up my box

Clicked the button to install v1.0 and went to bed. Woke up to a screen with all this . . .

-------------------------------

Starting Umbrel…

Restarting…

Please do not disconnect the power supply while the restart is in progress.

Shutting down…

Please do not disconnect the power supply until the shutdown is complete.

Shutdown complete
Error: External drive disconnected

The external drive was disconnected while Umbrel was running. This can sometimes happen when using an unofficial Raspberry Pi power supply.

Error: Version mismatch

The version of UmbrelOS on your microSD card is not compatible with the version of Umbrel on your external drive.

Error: System service failed

Something went wrong when starting Umbrel. Need help? Feel free to jump on our community forum or Telegram chat.

Error: Failed to start containers

Something went wrong when starting Umbrel. Need help? Feel free to jump on our community forum or Telegram chat.

Error: No external drive found

Please connect an external drive (at least 1TB) to a USB 3.0 port (blue color) on your Raspberry Pi and restart your Umbrel.

Note: If it’s not an external drive that you have used with Umbrel previously, all of the data on it (if any) will be erased.

Error: Multiple external drives found

Umbrel only works with one external drive of atleast 1TB size. Please disconnect any additional external drives and restart your Umbrel.

Error: Failed to connect external drive

There was an error connecting your external drive. Please consider using the recommended hardware listed on getumbrel.com.

Error: Failed to mount external drive

This normally happens if you’ve experienced filesystem corruption. Need help? Feel free to jump on our community forum or Telegram chat.
-------------------------------

That’s a lot of errors and they cannot all be right. I’m completely out of my depth here. Any suggestions on an easy fix? I am able to ssh into the box and (sudo) to a root prompt…

Any advice would be appreciated…

–Mike

1 Like

Hi @FingerCramp sorry to hear about your issue here.
I believe a simple reboot should resolve this for you. With SSH access, can you please try these steps:

1. Open a terminal window on your computer. On macOS, you can open the Terminal app that’s installed by default on every Mac. On Windows, you can open Command Prompt or the PowerShell app.
  2. Type in the following command ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local and press the Enter key
  3. Run sudo reboot

Yeah that was the first thing I did. It booted back up, but going to http://umbrel.local/ in my browser still showed the above.
So I decided to reboot once more before replying here and POOF, it’s working again! Thanks.

–Mike

1 Like

Great to hear.
Enjoy umbrelOS 1.0, and have a nice week!

Hmm, looks like it’s still on version 0.5.4, so evidently the install of the new version didn’t work. I guess I’ll try again. :thinking:

Yikes, it’s not working. I get a brief overlay saying it’s downloading the new version, and then it goes back to the previous screen with a very brief alert in red that says something like: “Install umbrel 1.0 on your SD card…” but then it goes away very quickly and takes me back to the home screen/dashboard.

FWIW, I’m running one of these nodes: https://thebitcoinmachines.com/

How do I upgrade my SD card? I don’t even know what that’s for… The updater doesn’t handle this, whatever it is?

-Mike

Thanks for the extra context, in that case, you will need to reflash your SD card. Please see the steps below:

1 Like

I’m now up and running after trying multiple MicroSD cards. Thanks again for your help.

my node now says it’s re-syncing the entire blockchain and shows the 20GB remaining on my SD card but isn’t recognizing my external SSD at all. What do?

Hey @satillionaire there was an issue with early versions of 1.0 that meant some users didn’t get their external storage detected. It’s been resolved in 1.0.4, could you try updating?