Impossible to update Nextcloud

I try to update Nextcloud from 22.1.1 to the latest 22.2.6.
After clicking on “Open updater” it appears again the same page.
Is it possible to update Nextcloud via GUI?

Any suggestion?

I am having the same problem with Nextcloud 22.2.8 ???

I am having the same problem with Nextcloud 22.2.8. Updater doesn’t work.
Also it wants to work with https but umbrel is only configured with http so the security check on Nextcloud always fails.
No help from the community on these issues?

1 Like

It is strange, although I have entered nextcloud as a secure website in nextcloud.config. The cloud now opens without problems via the bookmark, but when updating is end.

any solution how to update nextcloud?

well. it is a tricky one.
instalation on Umbrel do not have updater.
I downloaded newer version, uploaded updater folder to umbrel, I had to change user from www-data to umbrel, than I updated nexcloud via web. Running 24.0.3 now

Thank you, everything has worked well :sunglasses::beach_umbrella::trophy:

Can you kindly tell me the precise path of the update folder you refer to?

Download the new nexcloud version on the update page and put only the “updater” folder into:

/home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud

Then try to update on the web again - should work

2 Likes

Hey! how are u? i’m new in this world, how can I change user? I can’t paste the updater in /home/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ Please help.

Hi i’m a beginner but i had the same issue of nextcloud update button redirecting to the dashboard. I got it working thanks to the suggestion by GreatJobTommy.

These are the steps I did with Bing chat to help along the way…
Downloaded the nextcloud latest update to my windows computer.
Extracted the folder, copied out the ‘updater’ folder and pasted it on my desktop.

Logged into my pi using SSH on my windows computer. SSH is disabled by default but there’s lots of help about enabling it. I ended up removing the SD card, inserting it into my laptop and creating an empty file called SSH as per the instructions on this site How to Enable and Use SSH on Raspberry Pi 4 (Raspberry Pi OS/Raspbian) - The Robotics Back-End

Next was to use the terminal command scp to upload the folder to my pi. This is what I got from Bing…

To transfer files from your Windows computer to your Raspberry Pi using the scp command, you can use the following command in the Windows terminal:

scp -r [source folder] umbrel@[host]:[destination folder]

Make sure to replace [source folder], [host], and [destination folder] with the appropriate values for your setup.

To change the ownership or permissions of the destination directory on your Raspberry Pi, you can use the chown and chmod commands as described in my previous message, but replace pi with umbrel. For example, to change the ownership of the ~/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory to the umbrel user, you can use the following command:

sudo chown -R umbrel:umbrel ~/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/

I found out that my user ‘umbrel’ didn’t have permission to upload using the command ‘ls -ld ~/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/’. So I gave myself permissions and then reversed them after: This is from bing:

The output of the ls -ld command shows that the current owner of the /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory is the www-data user and group. The permissions of the directory are set to drwxr-xr-x, which means that the owner (www-data) has read, write, and execute permissions, while the group (www-data) and others only have read and execute permissions.

Since you are trying to transfer files to this directory as the umbrel user, you might not have the necessary permissions to write to this directory. You can try changing the ownership or permissions of the destination directory to allow the umbrel user to write to it.

To change the ownership of the destination directory, you can use the chown command on your Raspberry Pi via SSH. For example, to change the ownership of the /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory to the umbrel user, you can use the following command:

sudo chown -R umbrel:umbrel /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/

After changing the ownership, you should be able to transfer files to this directory as the umbrel user using the scp command.

Alternatively, you can change the permissions of the destination directory to allow other users to write to it. To do this, you can use the chmod command on your Raspberry Pi via SSH. For example, to give all users write permission for the /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory, you can use the following command:

sudo chmod -R o+w /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/

After changing the permissions, you should be able to transfer files to this directory as any user using the scp command.

and to reverse it - again from Bing.

Both changing the ownership and changing the permissions of the destination directory can be easily reversed after you have uploaded the folder.

To reverse the changes to the ownership, you can use the chown command again to set the owner and group back to their original values. For example, if the original owner and group of the /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory were www-data, you can use the following command to restore the ownership:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/

To reverse the changes to the permissions, you can use the chmod command again to set the permissions back to their original values. For example, if the original permissions of the /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/ directory were drwxr-xr-x, you can use the following command to restore the permissions:

sudo chmod -R 755 /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud/
Copy
Both options are straightforward and can be easily undone, so you can choose whichever option you prefer.

So that’s how I managed to get updates working! Thanks AI and GreatJobTommy!

1 Like

Hi just a follow up on this. I updated nextcloud to two newer versions using this method but I don’t recommend it because I got this error

Can’t start Nextcloud because the version of the data (27.0.2.1) is higher than the docker image version (25.0.1.1) and downgrading is not supported. Are you sure you have pulled the newest image version?

So I just reinstalled Nextcloud and started again. Best to wait until umbrel has an update and to update it using the umbrel dashboard -especialy for beginners like me!

1 Like

I have followed all the steps described. The updater folder is located in /home/umbrel/umbrel/app-data/nextcloud/data/nextcloud. An update from 28.0.0 to version 28.0.1 should be carried out. There is no option to choose an update on the web. What am I doing wrong?