Lost password - reset node

So I setup the node, changed the password (but my password manager didn’t save it) so I am locked out of the node.

I am able to SSH to the login prompt, but don’t have the password.
I am able to get on the console, but don’t have the password.

I have reimaged the flash drive, but it didn’t reset back to the initial password (so is it stored on the SSD drive?)

Should I totally wipe the SSD drive AND flash the MicroSD card?

I have about 1M satoshi in the BTC wallet (not the Lightning wallet) and have the seed phrase so I can recreate that, but am curious as to why a reflash of MicroSD doesn’t reset the node?

Can someone confirm my suspicion (its on the SSD drive) and give confirmation of wiping the SSD drive is needed as well in order to completely reset the node (so I can recover wallet with seed phrase)?

Just being cautious.

1 Like

I think this is the easiest way to approach it.

Reflash the sd card. It will set your ssh password to moneyprintergobrrr.

sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup && sudo rm -rf ~/umbrel/lnd/!(lnd.conf) && sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/user.json && sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed && sudo systemctl start umbrel-startup

Then go to umbrel.local in your browser, that will start your setup process again.

Set the new password.

1 Like

What’s the best/easiest way to reflash the sd card on The Bitcoin Machine?

Did you manage to reflash it?

I recently got the Bitcoin Machine from umbrel and after setting everything up I forgot my password + recovery seed phrase. (No funds stored in the node wallet)

I was wondering what’s the easiest way to reset my node.

Reflashing the mSD card is the same process as you did first time when you install Umbrel.
Just take it out, plug into a PC, use Balen Etcher with the latest version of Umbrel and done.
Keep in mind: reflashing mSD is not wiping the user data, is just updating the UmbrelOS. All user data is stored on SSD external drive.

If you want to wipe all user data please follow the Umbrel troubleshooting manual to do that.

WARNING: DO NOT reset user data, withouit having the seed backup and channels backup!

Hi, i am sorry but i haven’t figured out the solution yet. I have reflashed twice but the password is not defaulted to brrr, so i am not able to run the (sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup…) for erasing all the user data as a i cannot SSH. What am i doing wrong?

1 Like

Thanks Raj149, You’r solution was the way to go for me. I hope it’s ok, to clarify the instructions a bit. Tho I did get a bit confused. Also read the FAQ from Umbrel that really was not much of help so to say.

Clarification Step-By-Step for Raspberry Pi users:

1. Re-flash SD Card with UmbrelOs (this will reset password in SSH to moneyprintergobrrr )

2. SSH in to the RPI with “ssh umbrel@xx.xx.xx.xx” (the xx are replaced with ip-adress to RPI.)

3. When asked for password you will type : " moneyprintergobrrr "

4. Now Type in: sudo systemctl stop umbrel-startup

5. Now Type in: sudo rm -rf ~/umbrel/lnd/!(lnd.conf)

6. Now Type in: sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/user.json

7. Now Type in: sudo rm ~/umbrel/db/umbrel-seed/seed

8. Now Type in: sudo systemctl start umbrel-startup
    This last step starts the UmbrelOS with a fresh installment page!

9. Congrats! Now type in the https://ip-adress or https://umbrel.local for umbrelOS in you’r web browser and you should be able to choose a new User Name and password.

For me I lost my password but strangely could access the front page of Umbrel but all my apps where locked and could not reset it in any other way then the instructions above. And all my Movies that was in Jellyfin (USB-HDD) where still there so I just installed Jellyfin on the dashboard and it worked. No need to wipe all data as the FAQ.