Umbrel home - sitting @ 20% done for 1.0 upgrade

Hi - I have an umbrel home device. It has been sat updating @ 20% for the past two hours. What is the expected upgrade time and if it is there in the morning what are the recommended troubleshooting steps ?

Adding a comment here as I am experiencing the same issue with the 1.0 upgrade.

Over night it seems to progressed, however, the UI is not working. I can SSH on - no idea how to troubleshoot from her

I restarted again and the new UI seems to be running now. Are there any release notes to review ?

Same problem with me. The update hangs at around 20 percent. The message then appears that Umbrel Home is rebooting and then nothing happens. I then no longer have access to the web interface. Unfortunately, this is not very satisfactory.

Is it possible to update via command line?

Hi @dambox @austin @denny sorry to hear about your frustrations here, just checking in to see how the update has progressed for you.
This is a large update, so please leave the devices to complete the whole process, but if you’re still waiting please let me know.

I have now restarted again. The update has been running for 2 hours now. The screen shows that Umbrel is rebooting. Can this be?

I attempted upgrade. The UI just gets stuck on “starting update”.

@smolgrrr I needed to restart the computer before it worked correctly. Some observations below:

• The loading bar after the installation never fully loaded and sat around the 20% mark permanently.
  • After about 20 mins I could access the device through the IP address, but not the umbrel.local URL
  • Restarting my laptop allowed me to access using the umbrel.local URL

Unfortunately, even after many attempts and restarts, there was no success with the Umbrel Home. It’s very frustrating. :cry:

Is there really no way to update via terminal?

Hi @denny @austin @hasii2024 yes we can also do the update manually via terminal. Please see the steps below:

1. Open a terminal window on your computer. On macOS, you can open the Terminal app that’s installed by default on every Mac. On Windows, you can open Command Prompt or the PowerShell app.
  2. Type in the following command ssh -t umbrel@umbrel.local and press the Enter key
  3. Run sudo mender install https://download.umbrel.com/release/1.0.0/umbrelos-amd64.update && sudo reboot

I have followed all the steps described. Unfortunately without success. After the process is complete, umbrel will be disconnected. Access is then only possible via the terminal with the standard password “umbrel”. All that’s left is a reboot. Umbrel then starts again in 0.5.4 and everything is the same as before.

Worked like a champ. I figured there was a CLI way to manually do the update!!

I had the same problem, after using sudo mender install ... run sudo mender commit and finally reboot. Hope it works for you as well.

After I entered the command sudo mender commit and restarted, nothing worked anymore. I can no longer access the GUI with umbrel.local. I wish I had completely ignored this update.

Have I now destroyed my Umbrel Home? :cry:

What??? I’m sorry, did you run mender install and then mender commit? Or did you just run mender commit?

Edit: Have you tried accessing using the IP of the umbrel instead of the umbrel.local?

I first ran the sudo mender install https://download.umbrel.com/release/1.0.0/umbrelos-amd64.update && sudo reboot command. Umbrel was then restarted. I then logged in again in the terminal and then started the sudo mender commit command. What can i do now?

I don’t know if running the mender install, then reboot, then running mender commit would fuck up the mender, I’m not very experienced with the mender tool, I just used mender install > mender commit > reboot since my GUI was stuck on updating and it worked. However I can’t access my umbrel through umbrel.local and can only access through IP.

Can you access the umbrel home by IP? It could be that it couldn’t set itself as umbrel.local. Try to find out your umbrel’s IP. If you can access it through IP then you should be able to access through ssh and run the mender commands again to attempt to update.

Unfortunately I can’t reach the umbrel home via IP either. I can also no longer log in to the terminal with my password. Only the standard password “umbrel” works.

Oh that’s not good, if you can access the ssh maybe you can try to use the umbrel’s start scripts?

# inside umbrel ssh
cd ~/umbrel
sudo ./scripts/start